As my boys are now 17 and 15 years old this is something I am starting to miss. We used to do quite a lot on the run up to the festive season and even made lots of sweet treat pressies like the hot chocolate cones, decorated biscuits and cakes. Once they hit mid teens the enthusiasm for crafting waned and it is definitely something that I miss these days ( I expect I have to wait until I become a granny- although I am in no rush for that just yet!). My 15 year old however, will still decorate his own bedroom and will happily make Christmas paper chains if he is in the right mood……..and he won’t thank me for telling you that! I always think doing Christmas crafts starts all the build up and excitement, any time from Oct/ Nov all parents are already talking ‘Father Christmas’ to the kids and the crafts become an extension of that, I still have their school home made decorations too.
Take a look below for some fabulous and EASY craft ideas to get you started:
Some Easy Craft Ideas For Kids This Christmas
Christmas is the time for kids to enjoy and rejoice. This is the time when they get time off from school and are able to spend quality time with parents. So most of the time parents try to bring in new craft ideas that they can enjoy with their kids while preparing for Christmas. You can even find many craft products for your kids at Baker Ross.
- Take a felt cloth and cut two pieces out of it in the form of socks.
- Now sew or staple them together in such a way that top remains open.
- Stick the sides with lace to hide the staple and use felt pieces and buttons to decorate the socks.
- Use patterned paper to cover cardboard tubes.
- Now cut a triangle for reindeer head and two small and big oval shapes for ears from paper.
- Now paste the small one inside the big one and fold them in half. Now paste these oval ears on the two sides of the triangle.
- Now paste the triangle on the cardboard.
- You can have antlers prepared for your deer using pipes and straws.
Christmas tree with cones
- Take cone water cup and paint it with green colour.
- Now use ribbon or rick rack to wrap around it.
- Now decorate it with pom-poms.
- Cut the shape of some snowmen out of felt cloth.
- Now prepare some hats for snowmen from some coloured felt.
- Now glue the hats on the snowmen.
- Put holes inside the snowmen and pass a string through it.
- So you will have a series of snowmen together.
- Get sugar cookie dough for your kid.
- Roll them and ask your kids to cut different shapes out of it.
- Bake the cookie and now decorate them with cream cheese or peanut butter.
Kids with strong motor skills grow up to become active and intelligent. Different art lessons and craft activities helps kids to improve their motor skills as well as strengthens the muscles of wrist and hands. Some of the ways to improve the motor skills are:
- Playing with play dough helps kid to use its hands to stretch and squeeze, thus strengthen their hand muscles. They also develop their sensory experience.
- Painting helps in improving eye and hand coordination. So why not give your child a paper and paint brush to start working on it.
- Drawing and using colour pencils also helps to improve the motor skills in kids. Moreover, they learn to hold the pencil using the forefinger and thumb.
- Making craft items helps the child to widen their imagination and bring in creative ideas.
Kids should be encouraged to get involved in more of such craft and art lessons. Click here to get these products for less from your favourite stores.
What are your favourite crafts to do with your kids at Christmas?