Yes, there was no avoiding it. There was no other way around it. I had to go to A&E.
That was me on Tuesday. I had gone fishing with y OH and my FIL ( yes I fish- get over it).
I have the season record for the largest fish this year, a carp weighing in at 10lb 7oz, and as Tuesday was going to be our last day out at the lakes I was hoping my record was going to be in tact by the end of the day.
Now it has been said that I would obviously go to any lengths not to have my record broken by my OH- but this was pushing it.
I am not into self harming, so sticking a fecking barbed hook into my little finger is not my idea of fun or a way to keep my record unbeaten!! None the less that is exactly what happened.
This was it after I had local anesthetic and the barbed end pulled through!! Fecking Hell it bloody hurt………..then he decided to get clippers from theatre and snip the end off so it could all be pulled out fully…………to say it smarted a little was the biggest understatement. To add insult to injury he decided to stick me with a Tetanus as well.
So to all you who think fishing is boring, relaxing and nondescript- I BEG TO DIFFER!!
It has now been put on my list of dangerous/ extreme sports.
Needless to say I wont be sticking a hook in my finger again anytime soon.
Yes we are one full week into our summer break. As we were finishing for the summer I decided to get a list of things together to accomplish over the holidays, some for the family and others selfishly for me! To check out my list here
So, one week in and already we have managed to:
*set the pool up with much nagging to the OH….
We have also completed our full day’s fishing with lots of fab catches:
After a full days fishing I also managed to fit in my pj’s day!!! Not through choice but because the fishing day had taken it’s toll so I spent most of the day in bed and stayed in my jim jams for the rest of the day LOL…………….still that counts surely!
Also earlier in the week we found ourselves child free for an evening- Yes you heard me right- CHILD FREE!! So we treated ourselves to the cinema, Gallery seats at Bluewater no less- lots of leg room, super comfy seats and complimentary snacks and drinks………..don’t mind if we do.
Well here’s to next week to see what I can knock of the list- wish me luck.
I have read a few posts lately about the impending school holidays. Love them or hate them they just won’t organise themselves!
I have found it much easier and more fun to organise when the boys were a lot younger. I envy all of you with the 5-10 age group as there are LOTS of things you can do that cost NOTHING but a bit of time and planning- park picnics with friends, days at the beach, walks in the woods/ forests, kite flying…….and the list goes on.
However as they get older I find it becomes far more costly and a trip to the park is literally like you want to end their lives as they know it- SOOOOOOOOO uncool!!! Being able to get away with a ‘special’ trip to the cinema over the hols is now one of the main things they want to do……………….and money just does not grow on trees, whatever anyone tells you.
So I now find myself with a 15 and 12yr old, both boys ( and both mine- I didn’t just kidnap them off a random street), and the thought of trying to organise and keep a budget of any kind over the summer is virtually non existent.
However I will not be outdone, I will sort summer the summer hols, it will not break me *cough*. So here are a few things that I definitely want to include over the holidays, both for the kids, as a family, and some ‘just for me’ selfish ones thrown in too.
* Cinema trips- 1st to see Worlds End with the eldest ( as he is 15!) and 2nd to see The Internship with the 12 yr old (not my choice)
* Fishing day- this is already arranged with friends so I can say with confidence that this will happen- next wednesday to be exact!! ( I’m a fishing addict and proud LOL)
* See the Brainiac Live show that is showing at Bluewater and also up London hoping at least one of them will accompany me.
* Organise a huge swim day at a fun pool for both boys and whatever friends they want to bring. I have a 7 seater car so the more the merrier LOl
* Try the ‘Up at The 02’ experience, requested by my youngest- at £25 a ticket I have emailed them from my blog to see if they want a reviewer!! Cheeky I know but if you don’t ask you don’t get LOL- If not I will bite the bullet and let OH and youngest go.
* Take a trip on the new Greenwich cable car- with kids would be good but if they turn their noses up at it then just me and the OH!!
* A mammoth game of Monopoly as a family- this tends to go for hours and I can keep the arguing to a minimum by providing fizzy drink and sweets and snacks.
* Camping- we have actually booked this and are going for a week in Aug to the Isle of Wight!! I cannot wait
* Have some girlie friends round on a sunny evening to drink copious amounts of pink wine, talk crap and eat rubbish! ( even better get a take away)
* I would love a PJ’s day! Just for the sake of it, a lazy, not going out past the door, watching dvd’s all day just because I can!!
* A trip to my Mum’s in Plymouth- on my own LOL like that will ever happen!!! But you never know stranger things have happened as they say! My eldest is getting to go next week for a week on his own- to say I’m jealous would be the understatement of the day.
* Have friends round for a chilled out BBQ, everyone chipping in, kids off playing football out in the park and jugs of Pimms to enjoy for the adults.
* Get the pool up for the boys- I am nagging the OH as I type- he hates putting it up as It is huge- but may encourage youngest to invite his cronies round for the day!
* Sit in a lovely beer garden on a sunny afternoon enjoying a mega cold beer or G+T- this one with no kids and don’t really mind if it’s with girly friends or OH!
* Would love a day down at Dymchurch beach- a bit of a trek for us but worth it if you get the weather and time the tides right LOL
* A poker night! Ok maybe it’s not great to teach your kids to gamble but we love a game of Texas Hold’em in this house. We invested in a poker table with drink and chip holders!!
* A HUGE water fight while the weather is still hot, with friends as much more fun the more people you have- and we are lucky to have a huge park outside our back gate!! I feel a panic buy of water bombs coming on!
* Get to watch through the series 2 of The Killing in peace! I know I am behind on this but lets face it with it being subtitled I cannot exactly sit on Twitter and FB iron or knit while watching it LOL
* Become an expert in beating the teenagers butts at Swingball! One of the less energetic sports I can do LOL Just bought a new retro metal ‘old style’ proper one- BRING IT ON KIDS!
At the moment that is about it but I’m sure I will add some or change some along the way. Still hoping to get the teens dragged along involved in someway in at least some of my list, but only time will tell.
So wish me luck and let me know what’s on your list.
That’s just a few of the things that have happened over my last 2 week sabbatical from social media and blogging. A non intentional period of leave that really has just happened rather than been planned. So like I said, anniversaries, sunburn, shingles…….oh and winning £1000 on the radio! I KID YOU NOT.
It started when my eldest turned 15! You can catch up with that here
Not only did he turn an age that made me feel extremely old, he decided to test our skills by sporting a rather unusual rash, which after seeing the doctor turned out to be SHINGLES!! Very strange as it only appeared on a quarter of his face and over one eye.
Anyway, it was my wedding anniversary next day, 19 years if you can believe it, I bloody couldn’t!
But I got these which automatically made the day better :
What did I do to celebrate this momentous day? I went FISHING………….yes your read it correctly. It was a gorgeous sunny day and the fish were biting so I was a happy bunny. However, I didn’t expect this little extra ……
Well things didn’t end there. I had a very lucky day when I managed to get through on Magic FM’s £1000 song!! Seriously, I called, I got through, I told them the name of song and artist and they VERY kindly gave me £1000…………………I was so excited I put the phone down without giving my details- DUH! So you can imagine my relief when they called me back- YAY.
I was on a high for a few days after that, as you can imagine. God knows what I would be like if I won the lottery………………I would probably have a heart attack on the spot!
So I haven’t posted for a while since my trauma in London a few weeks ago- if you haven’t already then check it out here . It has taken me a while to get over the shock.
But I have also had a lot of mundane normal stuff going on. My youngest is in yr 6 and due to leave so we have been organising the Leavers party
CD photo books and after school picnic’s and water fights!!
In between that I had my birthday. Yes *groan* another year older and wiser. Although I had to drive to Ashford designer outlet for my son’s Leaver’s party shirt (typical) I had a great day. It was very chilled, me and the OH had a lunch out and did my pressies when the boys came home from school.
Sorry for the bad pics they were taken on my phone by my youngest in poor light!!
Anyway, moving on I came home to these…………
I also managed to squeeze a relaxing day fishing with the OH ( YES I DID SAY FISHING!) and I caught………………………………….wait for it……………………………….57 fish!!! AMAZING!
Ok I will admit some of them really were tiddlers however I was pleased to be catching some slightly bigger ones too.
Sadly, I really have got into this fishing malarkey- even to the point of taking the hooks out after the catch!!! Something I thought I would never do.
Then we had some Groupon vouchers to use up for Namco up in London. I must say the deal was fab as we got over £50 in tokens for only £14!! Now I wasn’t expecting too much of the place, never having been there myself. I thought we would be in and out in an hour. How wrong could I be we spent several hours in there enjoying bowling, bumper cars, and arcade games!!!
So that’s me caught up I think. I’m now preparing myself for an emotional week as my youngest goes through the traditions of the last week of primary school!
Life begins at 40 is what they say. People can start new things, try new things, and start to get some of their lives back as the children start to get older. For some it can be new relationships, new house, new country even.
I’m not sure what has happened to me since I turned 40 almost 2 yrs ago. Things have changed for me in so many ways:
*I now have a long term illness that stops me from working and makes me quite dependant on others around me
* After years of stating I would NEVER camp I now am a complete camping covert
* I am now old enough to have both of my children at Secondary school ( from September)
* I am now the owner of 2 cats- after never being a ‘cat lover’!
* I have now started knitting and LOVE it
* I know walk using a walking stick!
HOWEVER THERE IS SOMETHING THAT HAS HAPPENED THAT HAS ME CONCERNED FOR MY MENTAL HEALTH………………………………..
* I now LOVE to go FISHING!!!!
I know I know there must be something seriously wrong!
We headed out after the youngest went to school and set up, it was a lovely day and very peaceful. In fact I didn’t want to leave and have already booked my next trip out on the calendar!!
SO LIKE I SAID……………………………………………….I’M WORRIED ABOUT MY MENTAL HEALTH!!!
Crazy things can start to happen when you turn 40…………BE WARNED PEOPLE………BE WARNED!
This week has passed with the blink of an eye!! Really I feel as though I stepped on a speeding train and forgot to get off. Lets face it life has been a bit of a whirlwind since the kids have gone back to school.
It started with Friday 23rd being my youngest sons 11th birthday. bless him he had done the 11+ test that week and was so glad to get it all over that he really couldn’t wait for his big day!
Yes shock of all shocks he had to go to school on his birthday! Life is so hard.
Now for some reason he though we might let him have the day off……..but we are bad parents and made him go to school anyway! But he had a great day there and had some lovely pressies from his good friends. That night he was going to milk it for all he was worth so we had present opening….
Followed by dinner out…………..TGI’s being his choice……………
Followed by cake…………………………….yum!!
Who doesn’t love chocolate caterpillar cake!!
Before all this we had a discussion on what he wanted to do for his birthday. A disco, cinema with some friends, a sleepover, Quasar, all the usual stuff. But although he loves to go to a party and is extremely sociable he wanted a day with the family……………..FISHING!!!!
one of his catches!
But the week didn’t stop there………..oh no. We had 2 secondary school visits, a doctors appointment, a dreded dentist appointment, all afterschool classes ( scouts, boys football/youth club, dance class, drama class) amongst all the usual shopping, washing, ironing……………….yes I know a familiar story to you all!!
Then came a last minute audition for my youngest up at Covent Garden which then re arranged all our plans to meet up with friends to take the kids all swimming ( while we catch up on the gossip!). So OH went one way and me and my youngest went another. Then on to friends for dinner, drinking, gossiping and far too late a night ( which was fab!) and then a hideouslyearly morning to get both boys to Scouts for a day Power Boating activity at Whitstable!! It was the hottest day of the so called summer! The boys were away. We had the day to ourselves………..so what did we do……………………………….FISHING!!!
Now this is where I know I am being mentally affected by the pace of life!! I have the choice of what to do, a day out without kids, a whole day to do what we wanted……………and i chose fishing!!!!